Mental Health Support Resources
We all feel down sometimes, but at MHIF, we know how different and difficult it can be for those who have mental illness.
(That's why we're working on the Here Hotline which will be staffed by people who have actually been through things like you have, for one thing; but for the moment, we're unable to fund it and need volunteers.)
With that said, we've compiled and will keep updating a list of the best available resources that we know if for you to get help if you're in emotional distress.
A lot of people don't like to reach out at all when they're depressed. So as a TODO, we're going to write something for you too.
However, for those that feel they're ready to reach out, here are some options for you. While we're US based, we still want to provide information for everyone!
If you're experiencing an emergency or need help right away, please call 911 or your country's emergency number.
Don't want to speak?
Want to speak?
Veterans can call 1-800-273-8255 (and press 1) to reach responders at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
They also provide confidential online chats and text support at 838255.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is made up of a network of more than 150 crisis centers across the U.S. Find the one closest to you on their website.
- Call the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) helpline at 1-800-950-6264, or text NAMI to 741741. NAMI also has programs for family and caregivers that provide education and support.
- Find substance abuse or mental health facilities through the Department of Health and Human Services' SAMHSA website.
International list of suicide prevention hotlines (borrowed from International Bipolar Foundation)
- Argentina: +5402234930430
- Australia: 131114
- Austria: 017133374
- Belgium: 106
- Bosnia & Herzegovina: 080 05 03 05
- Botswana: 3911270
- Brazil: 188 for the CVV National Association
- Canada: 5147234000 (Montreal); 18662773553 (outside Montreal)
- Croatia: 014833888
- Denmark: +4570201201
- Egypt: 7621602
- Estonia: 3726558088; in Russian 3726555688
- Finland: 010 195 202
- France: 0145394000
- Germany: 08001810771
- Holland: 09000767
- Hong Kong: +852 2382 0000
- Hungary: 116123
- India: 8888817666
- Ireland: +4408457909090
- Italy: 800860022
- Japan: +810352869090
- Mexico: 5255102550
- New Zealand: 0800543354
- Norway: +4781533300
- Philippines: 028969191
- Poland: 5270000
- Portugal: 21 854 07 40/8 . 96 898 21 50
- Russia: 0078202577577
- Spain: 914590050
- South Africa: 0514445691
- Sweden: 46317112400
- Switzerland: 143
- United Kingdom: 08457909090
- USA: 18002738255
- Veterans' Crisis Line: 1 800 273 8255/ text 838255
We understand that trust and privacy is a big concern.
Often, people are afraid that if they reach out because of that; for the fact that they may end up being judged due to the stigma against mental illness, and various other reasons.